Day 75, Level 1: (Mon 21 Dec) Windy day, teriyaki chicken, sky, and Covid test for Sam

A lovely day but very windy. Spent much of the day on my laptop, completed two sets of minutes. I do declare, that is it for me as far as work goes for the year, both paid and unpaid. Phew.

Friend Marie called in early afternoon - we went for a beach walk, had a chat. Turns out that she actually swam with the orca and calf I saw in the bay last Monday - 14th Dec. She was up really close and the baby orca actually swam underneath her friend! There were dolphins too, where they were swimming, although they didn't make it round to the bay in Omaha.

The beach had an unusual shelf, as usual it looks different every time I'm down there. It was quite busy - Monday, but into holiday time now and the surf club area was full of people. Quite a few were in swimming. I tested the water - chilly but actually quite warm. The air temperature was hot and humid. Even though I'm not a water baby, I think I'll be doing a bit of swimming this summer as it's going to continue in that vein of hot and humid. 

Looking north

Made chili teriyaki chicken on rice for dinner with edamame beans and Japanese mayo. Just what I felt like!



It was a rather nice sunset, subtle, pastel. The eastern sky was moody with a glowing clump (sorry, not very poetic, but not sure how else to describe it!) above Hauturu/Little Barrier Island. 


Sadly, there was a bit too much cloud in the western sky to be able to see much of the Jupiter/Saturn combo after the sun had set. I glimpsed it briefly with the naked eye (one bright glow), and took a look through the binoculars (two planets very close together) - but then it all disappeared behind clouds. And by now they're below the horizon.

So glad I got a good look last night, and a brief look tonight. Tomorrow's weather isn't sounding too flash so that may be it as far as viewing this celestial wonder goes. I saw a piece of history!

SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Covid test ...

I haven't had a test as have had no symptoms. I gather it's not that pleasant. 

However, Sam has just had one as one of the girls in his flat tested positive, so the whole flat went and got tested. Awaiting word from him about the results. He says he has no symptoms but I'm not liking the sound of it - especially with the new and apparently more virulent strain of the virus that has hit the UK. It's not going to be the most fun Xmas Sam ever had - especially if it does turn out he has Covid - but it will be one he can tell his grandchildren about!

Poor Sam, I feel gutted for him that his fabulous UK/Europe experience has become so dire. 

Thinking of all my friends in the UK too, it's not good, not good at all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown

Day Twenty-Eight (Wednesday 22nd April) - Cobalt Blue, Covid Test, and Resilience

Day 51, Level 1: For the love of Skiing, Heavenly Lake Tahoe, and Pita bread