Day 21, Level 1: Social media, Brothers and Golf

A nice bright morning at Omaha. I did a bit of work and then gave the floors a good going over (with my new $39 vacuum cleaner). It works a treat - just like a Dyson only way cheaper! Seriously, it's brilliant and gets 5* from me. It made an intolerable job rather tolerable!

Headed back to Auckland. The further south I got the worse the weather became. At the Johnstone Tunnels, it was gloomy as I entered. When I exited out the other end, it was pouring down and I needed my windscreen wipers on full bore! Those tunnels are not very long, so it was a bit of a shock and surprise. It poured all the way making for awful driving conditions. The temperature dropped a full 7 degrees C between leaving Omaha and getting to Auckland.

Hopped off the motorway to go to a meeting en route - our ex-Omaha neighbour, Michelle Beach, has started up a small business to help small businesses get visible on Social Media. Her business is called BSeen. Michelle and I have caught up a few times recently. When she mentioned this was what she was up to, I jumped in. I don't really do Facebook and Social Media - but I do know it's a good way to get my Travel Companion Services visible. I've set up a business FB page but not got any further than that. Enter Michelle ...

But first, here's a glimpse way back - I found this photo of the boys taken in March 2001.




Michael (4) and Sam (7) - taken March 2001
Add 20 years ... they're now 24 and 27!!!
Oh boy, where do those years go!!!


This one taken a year ago ...
Sam (26) and Michael (23) in July 2019
At Sam's final rugby game before he headed for London

So, back to business ...
Michelle and I met this afternoon (Michelle served up a delicious lunch to start!) and went through a whole load of stuff around FB, my website, her offerings, various marketing strategies etc. It clarified a lot of things and I happily engaged Michelle to manage the set up and launch of my social media platform so that my business and services become visible. Tick.
I've got a few more behind-the-scenes things to tick off, based on what we discussed today - but I think I'm almost good to go!
Check out Michelle's services at www.bseen.co.nz
And soon - my services launched, shared and hopefully embraced by clients!

Brrr, it was an icy evening, coldest it's been. Cranked the heating up and Brett cooked his favourite go-to easy dinner - cabbage and bean stew. It's much nicer than it sounds, truly! Add some leftover bolognese sauce and an easy early Monday dinner was enjoyed watching the news.

After dinner, we had a Zoom catch up with Sam in London. It's his actual birthday tomorrow (30th June) but too hard to find a time when we'd all be available so went with a day earlier. Had a good chat. They'd been planning to go out for the day tomorrow but the weather was looking poor, so will likely postpone for a better weather day. Restaurants and bars can open from Saturday, so they're chomping at the bit and have booked to go to Skylight, a rooftop bar at Tobacco Dock, not far from the Tower of London and the Shard. Wish I could join them!

Meanwhile, my friend Anna's birthday today, 29th June - she's in Italy and will no doubt enjoy some good food, wine and fresh country air. Happy Birthday Anna!

SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Golf ...
Brett and Michael are mad keen golfers. Brett plays every weekend, often twice. I used to love it too but "retired" some time ago, after 40 years of playing regularly. Having started out playing when I was 12, at Omaha, I simply tired of it. Too time-consuming and I guess you could say my obsession with the game had passed its use-by date!

The boys learned to play very early on - as soon as they could walk, they were swinging clubs and before they turned 10 they were both pretty handy with a golf club. And keen too. We've had lots of fun family rounds over the years - and a fair bit of competition. These days I can be tempted back on course for a family ambrose or something fun like that. But otherwise happy to leave it to the boys ...!

New Plymouth, Oct 2000



Sam also loves his golf and has been playing a bit in the UK. He's a big hitter, but can be wayward. Lost balls - uncountable! He said he'd just bought a set of second hand golf clubs - golf will be his go-to sport for the summer over there, since cricket and basketball and other team/contact sports are unlikely to happen.
He's keen to explore some golf courses around the place - he's already played quite a few courses, including St Andrews in Scotland, no less!) I played some great courses in London, Surrey, Wales and all over the UK when I lived there. In fact, I was playing so much that I took my golf clubs back with me after a trip home.
Sam and a group of mates have just booked a golf tour to Portugal for later in the year, when travel should be up and running again over there. Good fun!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Twenty-Eight (Wednesday 22nd April) - Cobalt Blue, Covid Test, and Resilience

Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown