Day 52, Level 1: The letter C, American Utopia by Talking Heads and yellow pohutukawa

Another day mostly on the laptop - despite it being a stunningly beautiful blue-sky day.
It did start off howling a real gale, but it ended with perfection. 

I realise that, lovely as the letter C is, it is also the most annoying letter in the English alphabet. Having got hooked into Words with Friends (a Scrabble app with a difference) it's the words that have a C in them that are the most difficult to work with. There are no 2-letter C words, either beginning or ending with C. And it can stymy everything! If you can place a C in a position that means no one can access a double or triple letter or word, then you have done well.

This afternoon, after sending off my drafts, I treated myself to a glass of rose on the deck. Heaven. 

Then I went for a very swift walk to the beach - how stunning it was. 


Then I thought I'd go to a movie in Matakana - and I did. David Byrne's "American Utopia". OMG it was amazing. I'm an avid Dave Byrne fan and love all his music. His trademark beats and distinctive voice say it all. I'll listen forever .... But at the same time there is nothing utopian about America!

I'm in love with this concert  Here are a few photos I took of the on-screen concert. 

Thing is, I've seen this entire concert before - during lockdown I somehow stumbled across a link that gave me access to it. I really have no idea how I got to watch it, but I absolutely did. I was mesmerised then but can't work out quite how I watched it as it was only released recently. Anyway, I got to see it again on a big screen. Toe-tapping uplifting fabulosity. 

Everything about this performance is outstanding. 

I'm not sure bare feet cut it, but the songs, the lyrics, the pared back "grey" suits and set, the movement of the musicians, the engagement with the audience - it's all amazing. Suffice to say Dave Byrne is OCD - the whole thing is as slick and in synch as things can ever be. For anyone who loves pure music by authentic people - this is it. Outstanding. And they sang my fave Talking Heads song - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) - I clapped in the cinema and the others acknowledged my clapping. I was still the lone clapper. That's ok!

Bottom line - love all the songs, old and new. Love. Love. Love. Go see the film if you can. It is all about music and people. That's all. Go see. 






And here's a pic of the female loos at the Matakana Cinemas - not your norm!
The male ones are bright orange! 



SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Yellow Pohutukawa ...

The yellow pohutukawa are much rarer than the red variety which is much more common. Discovering and cultivating the yellow variety was not simple apparently. But it is lovely - and we have such a tree on our Omaha property which is flowering at the moment. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Twenty-Eight (Wednesday 22nd April) - Cobalt Blue, Covid Test, and Resilience

Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown

Day 51, Level 1: For the love of Skiing, Heavenly Lake Tahoe, and Pita bread