Day 51, Level 1: Fresh produce, beach walk, draft complete, Zoom chat and cricket

I was either on my phone, email or laptop virtually the whole day to complete the newsletter draft.

I did pop across the causeway mid-morning to get some fresh produce from a lovely Dutch woman who grows and sells all sorts of lovely veges. She's the partner of an old friend from early Omaha days - Roger, who makes and sells fab honey. Leonie also makes fab beeswax wraps using Roger's beeswax! She showed me how she makes it, fascinating. 
They both sell their products at the Matakana Market on Saturdays. Leonie recently won "best stall" - you can see why from the photo below!







Friend Lynn in Matakana called over early afternoon with some of her handmade soaps which she started making during Covid and I'm keen to try. With my encouragement, she is going into full-on production and sales! She's English and although our connection is recent, it is strong with so many commonalities. She's a Virgo too so we go "snap" very often!

We went for a quick 20 minute beach walk. We were both chasing deadlines so sadly had to make it hasty. It was a stunning day and the shades of blue were mesmerizing. As we walked, we talked about France - Paris, villages, experiences. Oh how we wanted to be experiencing all things French. We lamented the fact that we both should have been in UK/Europe - inc. Paris - in October! Bloody Covid!


Hauturu in all its splendour, set against heavenly blues 


Lynn in all her splendour!


Boy it was amazing on the beach today - the water was a little chilly when toes first dipped in - but we walked much of the way in the water and it ended up being nice and warm!

By 5.30pm, after my final review, I was able to send off the draft newsletter for review/proofing by the committee before it goes for layout, printing and delivery. 
I was so buggered I decided I would get takeaways. Despite having heaps of food, including lovey fresh produce, I wasn't in the mood to cook and literally had no energy. 

I went down to the Golf Club cafe that does Friday night takeaways - OMG it was seething. There was obviously a golf tournament on today. So I then drove to Pt Wells, the nearby village (5 mins), that also does great fish & chips. I got myself a fish burger and a small serving of chips and devoured it upon my return home while I watched the cricket - see Share-Note. 

At 11pm I had a Zoom with friend Jill - London-based but spending several months at their home in Mallorca. We had an hour before she had to go - we covered lots of ground but only scratched the surface. I do love keeping in touch with my far-away friends via Zoom or Facetime or whatever works best - but it's not easy to set up a time that works well, especially since NZ is now on summertime. 

I usually liaise with Sam on What's App - we text regularly and chat every so often. He's about to move from Holloway to Angel Islington - very hand for his work and he tells me it's a great flat. His girlfriend Anna is coming back to NZ next week for a three month stay to visit her family - her parents have just moved from Wellington to Hawkes Bay and her work have enabled this. Sam stays in London for the winter - he's not that enamoured with this situation and it'll be hard for him, but at the same time he has plenty of good mates over there and is the sort of guy who sees the positive. Just not enough travel in the near future which is such a shame. I just wish we could go over and visit him. I hope he'll get to do some skiing, but who knows. The vaccine situation is vaguely promising but unknown. We'll see ... I remain positive and hope to get over in 2021 if there's an inkling of a chance. 


SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Cricket ...

Tonight was the first international cricket match with spectators since Covid (in the world, I believe) - a twilight T20 match, the Black Caps against the West Indies, held in Auckland at Eden Park. Michael was going along. I tuned in. 
It's the first time a cricket match has been screened free to air on the main tv channel since about 1999. In all those in between years, you've had to subscribe to Sky to watch. Today, thanks largely to Covid and changed mindsets, anyone could watch. And I did! Not sure how long that will continue but, for today, it was good. 
It was great cricket - although rain delayed three times when the covers had to go back on. Bloody Auckland weather! It had been sunny all day. NZ won. There were some fab wickets and lots of sixes. Having had two boys who are both very good cricketers, I've been on the sideline for many years and got to learn all about it. Prior to that, I knew very little, although I did have a boyfriend in England who was a very good cricketer and went along to watch him play a few times at various village social games (he'd given up serious cricket by then). 
Sam and Michael played every summer for years, since they were 5yo. To my extreme surprise, I realised I actually liked the game - for all its nuances and mysterious ways it's a game that is clever and can go any which way at any time. Sam excelled as a batter (usually opener) and Michael excelled as a bowler. The problem is that cricket matches take a long time - and it was almost impossible to go watch both boys play on a Saturday. Brett and I would go between the two games. Brett was often the scorer which meant he stayed at one game (parents did this, as well as coaching and managing teams etc etc) - something I steered well clear of. I got asked to score once. ABSOLUTELY NOT, I said promptly and with conviction! I was never asked again. Yay. 
It was actually a really enjoyable way to spend a Saturday, setting up our chairs and chilly bin with beers, chatting with others parents, watching our sons play. We all agreed it was better than vacuuming or DIYing! It got the point where I was gutted not to get along to watch if I had a commitment that took me away from cricket. 

The boys still play as adults - both had real talent but to step up to next level required too much time, dedication, practice etc. They wanted to live, go to Omaha, travel etc. So social cricket was the go. Michael is currently playing in a business social league called "Last Man Standing" - they had their first game last week. Sam played in this for many years when he was here. He's played some cricket in London too. 

I have to say the most exciting sporting event I've ever watched was the 2019 Cricket World Cup Final - NZ versus England. It was tied right to the bitter end - and England won after a Super Over. OMG the match ended at 3am or something ridiculous. I couldn't go to bed. Interestingly, I was the only one who did watch it - Brett, Sam, Michael, the cricket loving lads, didn't! I don't think I've ever enjoyed a sporting event as much as watching that as it was down to the wire for so long. So unusual for a cricket match to be that close and, having got to grips with all those nuances, I was right there. OMG I can still relive the heart in mouth moments of that game. And thinking Super Over is a nonsense and there needs to be a better way. I think in future there will be. 

It's a sporting moment that can only be fully enjoyed and experienced live and in the moment - to watch it on replay or highlights is not the same as you know the outcome. I sat there in the wee small hours not knowing the outcome - but knowing everything that could sway things either way and understanding the angst of every player. Sporting gold - much to my HUGE surprise!

I actually found it far more entertaining than watching the All Blacks or Rugby World Cup and even more enthralling than watching the Melbourne Cup - now that's saying something! 

Oh - and apologies for yesterday's disjointed ramble about the ranting mother! I'd written that post in different sittings and realised I ended up doubling up about my consternation of her atrocious behaviour and the pattern of it. I still can't quite believe what she did. And I can only feel very sorry for that poor daughter (aged about 10). That sort of constant and completely unwarranted nagging from her mother will impact her in later years. Sigh. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Twenty-Eight (Wednesday 22nd April) - Cobalt Blue, Covid Test, and Resilience

Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown