Day 44, Level 1: Computer death (and resurrection ), Ziggy, Bond Street, and Sade

Hmmm, I did say a few days ago that my computer was spitting out thousands of words a day. It seems, haha, that I've overworked it way too much - this morning it died. Aaargh. 

I was working away and suddenly the whole screen was covered in loads of skinny bar-code type things, blinking away. What the ...?!? Aaargh. 

Then it made a very loud whirring noise and shut off. Aaargh. Aaargh.

I tried to reboot it. Nothing. Just the whirring sound. Yikes. 

I switched it off at the wall and then back on again. Another cycle of whirring into brief action and then shut down. And a blank screen. Aaargh and Yikes (they're different!)

Something was very wrong. Typical - right at the busiest time! And just as I'd been singing its praises for doing such a lot of grunt work!

I rang Anton my trusty PC Fixit man and he said he'd send one of his men around later in the afternoon.  He usually comes himself but was busy so arranged for Simon to come and take a look. I tried not think about what might be wrong with it, or - god forbid - that anything might be lost. The good thing is all my recent work is stored in One Drive and accessible from any computer anywhere so I wasn't too worried about that side of things. 

So I got on with work on my laptop while the guys worked in the driveway - sensor lights going in, retaining wall being backfilled etc. It was a beautiful day, with glorious sunshine and a tiny hint of breeze. It was also a busy one all round in the neighbourhood.

Here I am, having stayed in Auckland to work on my desktop because it's a bit easier than the laptop - and then there I was using my laptop anyway. Thank goodness for the laptop!

I felt a bit distracted all day, not by real distractions but by my mind wondering what was up with my computer. It's about 5 years old and has worked its guts out so diligently and reliably. What had gone wrong so suddenly? Just as I was relying on it so strongly!

Simon the computer guy arrived at 4pm and had a fiddle around and took it all to pieces. Turns out it's a power supply problem. "Easily fixed," he said. "Phew," I sighed with immense relief. Of all the things that can go wrong with a desktop, this is one of the simplest to sort, he told me. Alas he didn't have a replacement power box in his car so he took the box away, will sort it out and then deliver it back to me next week all fixed. Yahoo. 

I must add that I stayed in Auckland not only on account of easier working on desktop - but also because my horse Saintly Way (Ziggy) is set to run tomorrow, south of Auckland. Slight chance he may not make the field - but actually he is likely to. 

However, there is a problem - and it's a big one that has haunted his whole racing career - he's drawn "the carpark" again - extremely wide. This is hopeless in a short race like this and he has virtually no hope whatsoever. 

Most people scratch with such a wide draw because it's such a hopeless case - but Ziggy is primed and ready to run and there are only limited races for him so we'll give him the run. If he does manage to run a place, then the boy has huge ability and a very bright future. The race has decent stake money, being a Saturday meeting so if a miracle does happen, it will be a rewarding one. We shall wait and see. I'm nervous as hell already in anticipation of a miracle - but at the same time I know that a win or even a placing is as far-fetched as a fairy tale. None of us have the optimism and hope we've had through his career - it seems it may end with a poor draw and an also-ran result as best case scenario. But we'll keep hoping for miracles!

My heart bleeds and melts for our beautiful Ziggy boy - he is a horse with ability and the loveliest nature; he loves his job and tries hard every time; the stable workers and trackwork riders all adore him; his trainer and regular jockey rate him highly; he looks handsome and strong and he is kind and funny. But he has been thwarted with bad draws, bad luck and, sometimes, bad jockey management. Having said that, the jockeys have to make split second decisions at 100mph and they're not always the right ones. 

Poor poor Ziggy. At the beginning of his racing career, after he'd won three trials easily and had "champion" written all over him, he then got a wind issue and required an operation. It fixed the issue but then he got an infection and was a sick boy. Then, after he rehab, he was back to square one with training. He should have gone to the races as a 2yo but instead he went as a 4yo. Patience is a virtue! Despite bad luck with draws and in the running, he did ok in his early races, but there were always horses that were faster and better. Finally, In October 2019, all the ducks lined up and he won strongly. But ever since then - the bad luck returned. Worse than ever. 

I've actually got tears falling out of my eyes as I type this, such is my admiration for our boy and his big heart, and my despair at his ongoing bad luck. Tomorrow may be his last race as you can only keep going so long. If it is, he'll go off and become an equestrian horse or something. And he'll make a damn good one as he is well put together and has the best temperament a horse can have. But I retain hope that there's another win in him yet - it has to come tomorrow - but, as I say, that's the horse equivalent of climbing Mt Everest in the worst conditions. Tomorrow will tell. 

Brett is in Hamilton - he was invited to a golf tournament and then a function after and is staying the night down there. 

It's Friday night - and I'm home alone lamenting the trials and tribulations of my lovely racehorse and the hibernation of my computer! I thought about rattling up a drink with someone somewhere - it was such a gorgeous evening - but after my computer dramas and still with rather a lot to do to reach my deadlines, I got some takeaways and kept on going on my laptop. I've had video/music playing on the tv in the background, which is mostly 80s stuff and I'm loving it. 

When Sade's "Smooth Operator" came on I was transported back to 1983 when it first came out. I was working in central London then, it was the don't-hold-back yuppy days and we were out virtually every night, all night long. Sometimes at a private club in Mayfair, sometimes the local pub tucked down a side street. Sometimes a renowned nightclub off Piccadilly or Leicester Square, sometimes at a discreet winebar with guest-only entry. And sometimes we never got further than drinks and hilarity in the office - in New Bond Street. It was one or other of these nearly every night of the week - all week long - for years! 

And then of course there were the weekends ... they were fun and full-on days. And I can attest that they were memorable for all the right reasons.  

Thankfully the office (chartered surveyors) had a small - and rare - balcony. I would sit out there in quiet times and let the sun or breeze blow the hangover cobwebs away! There was really only room for one or two - and despite me inviting others to sit out there with me, I was usually the only person game enough to do it! Everyone was terrified of the consequences. I'd been brought up on decks outdoors so took every opportunity I could to get out there and never shirked because of it. The balcony overlooked the rooftop where the Beatles once played. And once, I saw Paul McCartney in the street below. 

At that time (1982-86) I worked at the prestigious address of No. 1 New Bond Street, surrounded by every exclusive fashion and jewellery store that existed - Tiffanys, Ausprey, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Dior, Hermes, Cartier, Bulgari. The gorgeous Burlington Arcade was across from the office and Saville Row was a stone's throw, along with the Ritz, Claridges etc. Round the corner in Cork Street were exclusive art galleries. I wandered in and around all this every day. I wasn't at all into brands or big names and it all went over my head. I certainly never went into any of the stores! 

But I did love being in the thick of things working in central London and, looking back now, I love that I just took working amongst the biggest brands in the world in my stride and honestly just didn't care that much. Still don't. Have never bought anything from any of those brands - oh, except Bulgari au the vert perfume which has been my signature fragrance for decades. 

I do remember a big hoo-haa happening when the James Bond film "A View to a Kill" was released - Roger Moore was in the street outside our office with tv crews etc and it was all happening. Of course we went and got involved. Fun. Even though I'm not a Bond fan and have only seen about two of the movies, it still sticks. 

That office where I worked in the early 80s is now the Ralph Lauren flagship store! I go take a look every time I'm in London and stare up at that balcony with a smile, remembering those zany 100% fun days. 

SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Sade ...

Nigerian born, Essex raised, Sade's Diamond Life album was a soundtrack to my life when it came out in 1983. Smooth Operator and Your Love Is King were the singles, and anthems of the time. At home, in clubs ... it was awesome music and takes me right back there. It's the soundtrack of my working days outlined above. 

She has been credited as one of the most successful British female artists in history and she's been formally recognised with both an OBE and CBE

She looked and sang great back in the early 1980s. And she looks great today. Her child transitioned from female to male a few years ago - Mickailia became Isaac. With his mother's support. 

Sade 1985 - Smooth Operator days


Today - Older but just as lovely

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Twenty-Eight (Wednesday 22nd April) - Cobalt Blue, Covid Test, and Resilience

Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown