Day 24, Level 1: Racing, camaraderie, flowers, full moon, Halloween and Turkey

I'm late posting this (it's 2am) - just checked latest new updates before posting this and discovered Sean Connery has died, aged 90. He was an acting icon.

Today was Spring Race Day at Pukekohe Racecourse (Counties Race Club) - about 50 mins' drive south of Auckland. The Auckland Owners Association puts on a special day for members each year. It was supposed to be last month but Covid restrictions meant it was postponed. What a fabulous day we had today! There were 45 members and guests - and genuine camaraderie was present in the room throughout the entire day - and, indeed, around the whole course. 

We had our own area, with indoor/outdoor flow, ran a Punters Club, had prize draws, a fantastic buffet (with outstanding bread & butter pudding for dessert!), and of course some great racing. People connected over a beer, a hot tip, a favourite jockey or a racing story. Many "small world" reconnection moments were experienced and new connections made.

The Assn sponsored a "best strapper" prize for one of the races - for the best turned out horse and strapper. The young girl who won, a stable hand and aspiring jockey, was over the moon. This was the first time we'd done this and we aim to make it a regular thing for race meeting in the region. Strappers do a heap of work to get the horse ready for raceday, as well as present it on the day, and they don't get enough recognition. 

Several people who were on the Noumea trip last year were there - a good chance for a catchup.  I sat next to the lovely Terry who was on that trip and had come up from Bay of Plenty for the raceday. We nattered away and chuckled at stuff and generally had a fine old time. Hey Terry (regular blog reader) - good to see you! And when we can travel again, I am definitely keen to get another New Caledonia trip up and running! And a Norfolk Island one too. And further afield. 

But meanwhile, we wait patiently for the opportunity to travel internationally again without managed quarantine. I have to say my itchy feet are getting itchier by the day. I want to go visit friends afar, immerse myself in culture that is not Kiwi/Maori, experience things that NZ cannot deliver. I wait patiently ...

This was the fourth Spring Race Day we've run now - it's always a busy day, especially for President Mike and me - connecting with people, running prize draws and generally making sure it's all going smoothly. It went very smoothly! 

We also got to enjoy the beautiful flowers that committee member Frances (florist) brought along - and I got to take a posy home. The posy is as delightful as the lovely Frances. 

Spring Delight - the name of the horse in the first race that I backed - and it won!

Brenda and Barry (who were also on the NewCal trip) had a horse running - I went down with them for pre-race drinks - it started to pour down! The morning had started off really nice but by early afternoon the misty rain came, and that turned to heavy rain and there was even a short spell of hail as we enjoyed a pre-race vino under [rather open] shelter. The rain got us but didn't dampen our spirits.


Pre-race - heading out to the course in the rain

Watched the race by the birdcage - and ... Tango Love won! Brenda and I literally screamed the stand down and hugged and jumped about with glee. I don't even own the horse but the thrill of a friend's horse winning is as thrilling as having your own win. So thrilled for Brenda and Barry!

Post-race - celebrations and photos for Tango Love's win - in the rain! Barry and Brenda on the left.

The rain comes down heavily as Tango Love goes back to the stables after a fab win
 

It was rainy and nasty during Tango Love's race but not too long after that, it cleared and was humid again. That's Auckland weather for you - especially in Spring!

A few other friends there had horses running - but they ran downtrack. Never mind. Next time! There is always a next time - until there isn't - and at that point the horse goes off to do something else. It does not become dog food!

I thoroughly enjoyed today - I always enjoy a day at the races but this one was particularly rewarding in so many ways. Mostly because of the people connection - but I also backed a few winners, always bumps a race day up the good-times ranking! Break even is good! It's cheap entertainment!

And then there is Tuesday ... Melbourne Cup Day! I'll be at Ellerslie - connecting with more racing enthusiast friends. Love it!

Today is Halloween and on my drive home from the races I saw plenty of trick 'n' treaters. Kids all dressed up, with parents guiding. They were having fun. I'm not a huge fan I have to say but our boys enjoyed the whole thing back in their day. 

Tonight is the FULL MOON! It actually peaks at 3.49am on 1st November (which is overnight tonight). After a rather blustery day with rain coming and going, it wasn't boding too well. By late evening, when the Full Moon had risen into the eastern sky, it was glowing brightly behind swiftly passing low clouds. It looked spectacularly spooky - perfectly apt for Halloween!

I've checked the moon and sky many times since 9pm tonight. At times the sky was clear and the moon shone brightly. Sometimes shrouded by clouds. The moon still shone brightly. That's the nature of a Full Moon!

Shining brightly through our big camphor tree

Popping through the neighbourhood trees NB: the dot top left is Mars

With a natural blue hue (no colour filter) - and Mars

I see the All Blacks spanked the Wallabies 43-5 on home soil in Sydney tonight. ABs ecstatic, Aussies sobbing. I didn't watch the game. Without Sam and his rugby prowess here to keep me involved and up to date, I don't have the same interest. And, to be honest, after a fab day's racing I got home and didn't even think for one moment about a rugby game. I could have watched - but nothing was further from my mind! Nice win though, and that's all good.


SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Earthquakes in Turkey ...

Got home from raceday to discover horrid earthquakes hit Turkey - struck Izmir on the east coast, and also the Greek island of Samos. There have been deaths in both places. Not good. 

I've been to both places, in the 1980s. Flew into Izmir in 1987 on a back-pack trip around the eastern part of Turkey. Before Turkey became touristy. Fantastic holiday. After flying into Izmir we headed to Selcuk, as we wanted to go to ancient Ephesus. I can't quite recall how, but my fiance and I ended up staying in the home of a Turkish family in Selcuk, sleeping in their living room. We each had a couch and a blanket, and various members of the family traipsed through. I think some even slept in the same lounge! The matriarch was divine. It was kind of an early Airbnb arrangement I guess, backpacker style! No idea how we ended up staying the night there - but it was an experience in a zillion! Next morning we explored the local museum and then went to Ephesus - absolutely amazing. And not many tourists back then. 

Photo I took from the top of the amphitheatre at Ephesus.  

From memory the ocean had been at the end of that road back in Roman times. 

I remember wishing that there was an obligation for everyone to wear white. I did wear white that day, by default. Having everyone wear it would have really evoked the Roman era. 

 

Me wearing white! Wish everyone else was too!

A stunning place of ruins and history, where you can really envisage what life was like. It's the first place I saw Roman communal toilets. Whilst I wasn't very taken with this concept (the slaves warmed the seats prior), I was totally taken with the architecture of the houses they'd built. Ruins, but you could tell the style regardless. Mosaics, great flow, awesome.

Chris on a Roman loo!


On that holiday, I still vividly remember our taxi trip back to Izmir airport. It is probably the most terrifying taxi ride (indeed, road journey) I've ever had in my life. Chris and I were gripping each other for grim death and I was telling the driver to slow down, ended up pleading and yelling for him to slow down. He didn't - he just continued to hurtle along at speed as though he was on a death jaunt. It was utterly horrific. The more I begged, the faster he went. A long ride made even loooooonger. Actually, shorter! He was loving every moment of terrifying us. 

Towards the end we were both begging him to slow down. He didn't ... until we reached the airport terminal and he lurched to a crazy stop and we got out glad to be alive. I really truly thought we were going to crash and die on that one-hour+ journey. How we didn't I have no idea. As clear in my mind today as it was more than 25 years ago!

I also spent a fab week on the island of Samos in 1988 with a girlfriend - we zoomed around on motorbikes, ate and drank and had fun in the sun. Back in those days it was an "under the radar" island as far as tourism went. Not a Santorini or Mykonos or Crete etc. It was a very authentic Greek island experience, untouristy and we loved it. Being so close to Turkey, we went over for the day - to visit Ephesus. My second visit. It was just as awe-inspiring as the first time. I don't think too many Kiwis will have been to Samos. Maybe my visit there prompted me to want to call my firstborn Sam!?!?!?

We both bought Turkish carpets that day from the coastal town of Kusadasi - my [silk] rug sits in my home office with my office chair rolling over it - and I am reminded of Samos and Ephesus every day! Actually, at the moment it is out on the deck getting an airing. 

You see, this is why travel, purchases, mementos and memories are so very important! Nostalgia is powerful. Never forget it!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown

Day Twenty-Eight (Wednesday 22nd April) - Cobalt Blue, Covid Test, and Resilience

Day 51, Level 1: For the love of Skiing, Heavenly Lake Tahoe, and Pita bread