Day 20, Level 1: Meetings, AGMs, great nibbles, Russia, the Moon and nebulae

Crack of dawn start today. Not nice. But when you have your mind set on the right dial, it's okay. 

I was doing a contract job doing board minutes today. It started at 8am and went for 6 hours with just a short break. Discussion was intense and complex. And of course it was all new to me as I hadn't done work for this company before. New people, new business terminology, new everything. Ambitious concepts discussed. Circumspection and extreme listening skills required!

I've done minutes for about 10 different clients through the year - it's confidential, intensive work and I can say yay or nay when a job crops up as it works for me around other things I do. Pay is good, you're in and out of the meeting, no mucking about. Some are via Zoom or I just get the audio, so don't even need to go into a meeting room (they're the best!)

But either way, it is pretty draining, especially first up, getting to know the people, company, dynamics, preferences, requirements etc. Having said that, I've done meeting minutes and transcriptions etc all my life and have been trained to listen, hear, interpret and capture every word anyone says. It's surprising how many people have no idea what they just said, or how many people have no idea what the other person just said! Seriously! And neither would I if I switched off. When you do this work, you cannot switch off! I very rarely switch off when someone is saying something - whether in a meeting or a social setting. It's ingrained in me to listen and, most importantly, to hear what is said. Even to read between the words!

This contract work is a good flexible back-up for work/income - until proper travel gets going again and I can really get my Travel Companion Service on track. I'm still working on things but, as I think I've said before, I think 2021 is when it will truly get under way.

It's fair to say I get a lot of insight into companies, boards, finances, operations and whatnot. Highly confidential of course. Even though I can't, I'd like to block my ears sometimes, the things I hear. Some organisations are not-for-profit and some commercial. Some things make my eyes bulge. I just have to capture what I hear. And sometimes it is not for the record. I've seen and heard plenty - including high function and utter dysfunction. 

Today the Board was men aged 65+ and one woman younger. Plus CEO (female) and CFO (male) - and a few other guys who came in to give presentations (one of whom was utterly outstanding - the most eloquent and clear person I have ever heard address a meeting in my life). Why can't there be more like him!?

The Board men, during lunch break, were bantering on about their holiday weekends - been at the bach, out on the boat (how big is your boat? motor), this and that. All big-noting big-money bravado galore. Puke. Lamenting they weren't in Europe right now, promising to go as soon as they can. Exchanging bigwig stories about flash cars and trips and holiday homes etc.

I had to stifle a laugh to myself. I'm sure they viewed me as the lowly minute-taker, from a little house in the outer burbs, who probably hadn't ventured much further than that. Little did they know I too have a beach house and I too should have been in Europe right now and have likely visited more countries than the whole lot of them put together!!!! They've probably even read some of my published travel articles! What's more I actually knew/know some of the "elite" bigwig business people they were talking about!!! I said not a word! There is no point. And it is most definitely not the place of the lowly minute-taker! Observation and absorption is perfect in this setting.

Zipped home - rather exhausted I must say, as these people knew how to pack info in to 6 hours like you wouldn't believe. 

Digger in driveway doing works. Had an update chat about that - we're having a retaining wall built before the new driveway goes in. 

Did a bit of other work. Then back in the car and off to an AGM - for the Auckland Racing Club of which I'm a member. Again I was mostly surrounded by men aged 65+! A few women, and just a couple of men in younger age bracket. But mostly the older male. More observation and absorption! The AGM was short and sweet and the club has worked hard through Covid to keep things ticking along. It continues to put on great racing days - with the Melbourne Cup day looming on Tues 3 Nov.

After the AGM we had a drink and nibbles. OMG, the nibbles - the best I've ever encountered. They always put on good nibbles (I've been to this AGM for several years to keep abreast of goings on in the club and the racing world) but today's offerings were outstanding. 

Beetroot feta tarts - they were delicious

Sweet nibbles - oh so divine!

After the AGM I headed straight to quiz. We came second (again) - by just one point. Had a good score and a successful fun night. Pipped on the post - it happens at quiz and it happens on the racecourse. Just gotta go back and try again ..!

SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Russia, moon and space ...

Got talking to a guy at the AGM. I've met Gavin at the AGM before, and occasionally at the races. Unusual chap, quirky, intense. Russia came into the equation - due to someone else talking about the Russian ballet. Turns out Gavin has spent much time in Russia - married a Russian woman (who died of cancer), learnt Russian, worked in Russia. Went out with more Russian women!  

Turns out he was there last year same time as me. Turns out he's into astronomy and has a super-duper telescope and camera and takes amazing photos of the moon (yes!) and nebulae, stars, galaxies and all sorts of space things. A give it a go sort of guy who gets out and does stuff. Very well travelled. Shares his tales with vigour.

He shared his Facebook pics with me. All of them! Until I had to go to the loo and head off ... I really did ... I had to go to quiz!

Here are a couple of stunning moon/space pics that he's taken which he shared with me. Wow, he sure has the equipment! Impressive photography of gorgeous night skies.

The moon - with Saturn in the background!

Helix Nebula

Lobster nebula




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown

Day Twenty-Eight (Wednesday 22nd April) - Cobalt Blue, Covid Test, and Resilience

Day 51, Level 1: For the love of Skiing, Heavenly Lake Tahoe, and Pita bread