Day 17, Level 1: Cox Plate, fishburger, Enola Holmes and farewell Inktober!

There are 11 new Covid cases today, all in managed isolation. There have been community cases, including at a pub. We are being urged to be vigilant, sign in with the tracing app, wear masks when in public etc. I suspect the virus will bob up and down in our lives forever more. 

It was a nice day today, but a windy one. We had a leisurely morning, I cooked bacon and eggs for brunch and then Brett and Michael went to golf. I had the races on, did a bit of work, hung out at home. Nice. Today was the Cox Plate horserace in Melbourne - won handsomely by a horse called Sir Dragonet. I didn't back it, but that didn't detract from my pleasure in watching an awesome and iconic race. Frank Ritchie who trains our Saintly Way trained Bonecrusher who won the now famous 1986 Cox Plate - a dingdong battle between Bonecrusher and Waverley Star, both NZ horses. He still smiles when he recalls every detail, and the trophy and photos are very cool to see in his office.

Counting down to the Melbourne Cup on Tuesday 3rd November ... I'll be at Ellerslie!

We got takeaways for dinner from the General Store in nearby Point Wells village. They do really good fish & chips and burgers and whatnot. We all had burgers and they were excellent. Mine was a fresh snapper fishburger. Yum.

Then we settled in for a movie - we selected Enola Holmes, about Sherlock's younger sister - and enjoyed it very much. Millie Bobby Brown was outstanding - I think she is the new Charlize Theron, and it's hard to believe she is just 16 years old. 


Henry Cavill was suave and oh-so-watchable as Sherlock. The film had a nice blend of nostalgia, feminism, kick-ass savviness. A little slow in parts, but that was okay as it evoked the era beautifully and had just the right amount of zaniness - from the moment Lord Tewkesbury clambered out from a carpet bag on the shelf of a train carriage and fell on the ground in a heap in front of a surprised Enola, I was smiling. Not to mention the pair of them zooming around on a motorised carriage much to the consternation of its owner the haughty headmistress of the school Enola didn't want to be at. The awfulness of chauvenism bobbed up - and was made to look as bad as it always has been. And still is!

It's the strength of womanhood that shines through in this movie. The most enlightening thing to me was that my 24yo son thought it was a damn good movie! Or perhaps he just likes Billie Bobby Browns. I certainly am in awe of her. 

SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Inktober ...

I gave up! I wasn't liking the prompt words and didn't find them at all inspiring. I've been too busy to get out my inks to do even a tiny doodle. And I came to the conclusion that I don't need prompt words or a daily art regime. If I feel creative, I'll get creative. If I don't, I don't. Inktober seemed a bit purposeless and having a daily regime of doing an inkwork felt all wrong!

I guess this sort of thing suits some people - but not me! It just didn't feel very creative, more like an obligation. Which creation should never be!

Farewell Inktober!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown

Day Twenty-Eight (Wednesday 22nd April) - Cobalt Blue, Covid Test, and Resilience

Day 51, Level 1: For the love of Skiing, Heavenly Lake Tahoe, and Pita bread