Day 50, Level 1: White lilies, hard quiz, and cheese rolls

Meetings, work, quiz.

Oh dear, quiz was very hard tonight. We came third equal but not quite sure how. Not sure anyone did terribly well.
There was a round about the 1970s - that's our "era of great memories" and we even fluffed up a few of those questions. Our memories weren't on form tonight!

Oh well, it was a good night and we got to scoff lots of goodies thanks to the voucher we won last week. I think we learnt more than we knew tonight, although our score was better than we thought it was going to be.

Not much to report so I'll share a couple of lovely photo of white lilies. These were taken at the Wintergarden hothouse in the Domain, almost ten years ago! Their shape had me mesmerised.

When I was looking through old photos to find something nice to post today, I came across these - and it's actually very poignant because I found out today that the father of some friends of mine (brother and sister) died suddenly but peacefully at the weekend. I'd only seen him a couple of weeks ago at the Ellerslie trials - he was a keen racing man.

White Star Gazer Lilies are said to signify sympathy. Although I'm no flower buff I think that's the variety these ones are.






SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Cheese rolls ...
The good old Southern variety are a must-eat when down south - a delicious cheese concoction rolled up in white bread, crusts on, and baked till lightly toasted. Yum.
I've made them myself occasionally, but it's still not the same as ordering one (or more!) from a cafe in the deep south!
They're on the menu at the pub we go to for quiz and we sampled them tonight. The Corner's variety are literally dripping with cheese and are very rich. The cheese literally oozed from that bread, and slid down our gullets. And yum!
For a toasted sandwich with a difference, you can't go wrong. The secret is in the cheese concoction!

What deliciousness will you find at Invercargill restaurants? | Air NZ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Twenty-Eight (Wednesday 22nd April) - Cobalt Blue, Covid Test, and Resilience

Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown