Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown

Another glorious day in lockdown - I'm talking about the weather!
Again, today was mostly spent on the computer being gently productive.
I brought some art stuff up with me, but I haven't done any painting. Not yet, anyway. Perhaps over the weekend ...

I went for a twilight walk to the beach at 5pm, it was absolutely beautiful down there with interesting cloud banks and sky of a cerulean blue hue with a lemon tinge that spread far into outer space. The light at this time of the year is outstanding.

Omaha Beach photo of the day - 5:15pm

Same view, half an hour later

The waves were curling perfectly and it was mesmerising.

Twilight perfection


Curling waves

I called in to the Superette on my way back from the beach. I only needed a few things so just a quick pit stop. I have not been to a proper supermarket since lockdown. I may never go again - the local stores have everything I need and I haven't wanted for anything.

I bought some very fresh and fabulous looking celery. It was an entire bunch (only option) and it is possibly the biggest one I've ever seen. It weighed a ton. By the time I got home my arm was almost dropping off! Good job celery lasts a while, although even then, I've no idea how we'll get through it! I chopped off all the greenery at the end and have made a nice vege stock with it. Perhaps I'll use the nice tasty stock for a meal over the weekend, or perhaps not. Either way, it felt like a purposeful thing to do with all that foliage!

Brunch: pita pockets with cheese, salad etc.
Dinner: felafels with farfalle pasta salad - lentils, spinach, capsicum, celery (more than I would normally add on account of over-supply!), red onion, spring onions, peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, tamari-roasted sunflower/pumpkin seeds and almonds - and a soy honey chili ginger dressing. All tossed through the pasta and chilled. Yum. Tastes even better next day. I made enough to be sure there is some for tomorrow!

After dinner, Michael watched the Michael Jordan "The Last Dance" doco and, although I was on my computer, I had my eyes/ears on it. Fascinating. Didn't know that much about him except that he was a damn good basketballer. He seems like a good dude.
My half eyes/ears attention thing could prove useful for the dreaded Sports round at quiz at some future point! Shadees ... I'll try to remember what I can! Damn, should have had full eyes/ears on it! There are 8 more episodes to go so I'll aim to tune in and get up with the play!

It occurred to me that, while there are plenty of ordinary lovely every-day Michael's, there are rather a lot of famous ones ... Michael Jackson and Michael Jordan being the two most famous of the lot (both MJs). Then there's Michael Caine, Douglas, Buble, Hutchence, Michael J Fox, Phelps, Schumacher, Myers, Fassbender, Keaton, Michael McIntyre, Bolton, Nesmith, Palin ... Even Sylvester Stallone is a Michael.
Off course there's Michelangelo, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Gorbachev ...
Can't be bothered doing any more delving or research!

Here's my own famous Michael, graduating from Otago University with a B.Comm.
And having worked right next to him for the last month, I can proudly confirm that his work ethic is absolutely outstanding!


Michael - Otago University graduation May 2019


The Michael thing took an extra turn when I opened a nice bottle of "19 Crimes" cabernet sauvignon 2018 (south eastern Australia) that I'd purchased from the Superette. Okay then, that's really why my arm was dropping off, it wasn't just the celery!
The labels on the bottles of this 19 Crimes series feature different mug shots of various criminals who did time in Australia. They have interactive labels that you can "find out more via the app".
Apps are annoying, so I just did a google. So my bottle had a cagey looking character who appeared to be wearing a bib over a heavy woollen suit and waistcoat. He's not looking at the camera and he's scowling.
Turns out it's an infamous Michael.
Michael Harrington - a British conscript best known for orchestrating one of the most daring escapes from Australia in 1876 - braving a typhoon in a tiny rowboat to board an American whaling ship in what is now remembered as the Catalpa Rescue.
How do people escape from prisons?
One of the most remarkable stories was the escape from the prison fortress in Peniche, Portugal where we were last year. Unfathomable how people can devise the escape concept and carry it out with success.

And then there's Shawshank Redemption (1994) - my favourite movie of all time from the first time I watched it way back. I think I've seen it 20 times and still love seeing innocent Andy got out of there with such patience and cleverness. If he'd actually been a criminal, I would have watched that movie once!

Hmm, may need to return to Superette to purchase another bottle of 19 Crimes red to find out more about the other criminals in the series. May actually need to purchase 18 more (there are, after all, apparently 19 and I've only had one!!!)

The infamous Michael Harrington

The problem with these particular bottles of wine is that, as you can see from the photo, they are dark black and completely opaque - you can't see how much is left in the bottle - or how much you've drunk! There is still some in there, let me tell you!

I meant to vaccuum and wash the floors today (they need it). Too busy, not interested. There is always tomorrow ...
Michael meant to mow the lawns last weekend (they badly need it). Too preoccupied, not interested. There was always next weekend ...
So tomorrow he'll be on lawns and I'll be on floors! I'll report back about the completion of this double mission that neither of us is looking forward to!
As my friend Lyn says - life should be about ABH ... anything but housework. Too right!

For those who love lemons and lime (with Gin!) - listen to this ...
The Grogans, "Lemon to my Lime" - another boppy summery Covid track by a cool Melbourne group. This has been almost on loop the past few days, Mike and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmqTHSP_gwA

ANZAC DAY
Well, it's ANZAC Day tomorrow. Not sure I'll be alive at crack of dawn  to stand by a letterbox - we don't have one up here at Omaha, and we're in a street with hardly anyone here. And, in true night owl fashion, it's 1:30am when I'm typing this!

But before heading to bed, i.e. early hours of Anzac Day - I'll stand on the deck, look to the inky sky and salute the veterans. Lest we forget.

Oh okay then, if I'm awake at some ungodly early hour, I'll peek out and see if anyone is standing out on the street and go stand there too! Will report back ...

SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Queenstown ...
Things are falling apart in the travel, tourism and hospitality (TTH) industries and many are facing an uncertain and challenging future.

It's not good to hear about Queenstown's fall from grace. But sadly, it's a case of the "all eggs in one basket - and there'll always be eggs"  thinking. Or the "let's make hay while the sun shines - and there'll always be hay and sunshine" scenario.
Now that there are no more eggs (aka tourists), that basket doesn't seem so flash and no one's sure what else to put in it.
And we all know that continual sunshine is never an option in NZ.
But hopefully soon, NZers can go enjoy the place without battling zillions of tourists or paying silly prices. If there are silly prices - people won't go.
And now, having scorned the Jafas (just another f'n Aucklander), they want us to come in droves to rescue them! Maybe - but to be honest there are other stunning places in this country to explore that are much closer than Queenstown! And cheaper. And we're all hurting,

Queenstown is a beautiful place - just like any 'lakes & mountains' area in the world, of which there are thousands. Alas, Queenstown seemed to hang everything off tourists coming in droves forever more to pay high prices to do stuff. And there seemed to be a sense of smugness and comfort zone that they'd have it this good forever. Nothing is ever forever. .
The current scenario is a bit like the precarious aircraft approach into the town itself; exhilarating when all is going well, a nightmare when it's not.
Their "woe is me" stance (and how many people these days are in a position to say that!?) is a bit like the rich guy going "it's not fair" when his greedy investment plans go awry in a stock market crash.
Maybe a bit harsh, but seriously, you know what I'm saying.
If you put all your eggs in one basket ...


I watched part of the first episode of the new series One Lane Bridge the other night. Hmm, that's it for me on that show. Set in Queenstown, it was slow and trudged drearily along, intent more on showcasing Queenstown and environs than moving right along with the story.
Cue plane taking off amongst the mountains as two characters sat and had lunch in the restaurant at the top of the gondola or somewhere. Was that supposed to look incredibly exotic or something!?
Cue mountains and backdrops. All very nice, but there's glorious scenery like that all over the world - and where the hell is the action in this story!?!?
I love a good whodunnit (love Brokenwood, Midsummer, everything) but lost interest in this before the mystery even began. I hadn't engaged with any characters after about 40 minutes and was outta there. Seems to me it was made purely to market Queenstown to the world. Hmm ...

I'll tell some ski town stories in tomorrow's post - was going to do it here, but I think, after a 25th April nighttime salute to the veterans, I should head for bed.

I thought I had nothing much to write about today - but once I get going ... !!












Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 51, Level 1: For the love of Skiing, Heavenly Lake Tahoe, and Pita bread

Day 12, Level 3: Still in L3, lilac flower, romping dog and starry sky