Day 2: L3 - telescope, monocular vision and Amira

With Michael having gone back to Auckland, I'm all by myself ...
Like lots of people in lockdown have been.

I enjoy time alone so for me that's okay, but I know people who have been alone the whole time who are relishing, finally, some contact with people in their new extended bubble. Fab.

I did some housework and washing and chores and other dull stuff. And also rearranged my work station at the dining (working) table. Now that Michael's big screens and whatnot are gone, I have the table to myself so I moved to a different position. Glare has been a pain at times, with sun streaming through windows and bouncing off surfaces. I think this new position is better.

It was really windy all morning so I left my beach walk till mid-afternoon when the wind died down. There were a few people in swimming and a few surfboards and paddle-boards being given an outing.

Omaha Beach photo of the day - beach back in business!
It's still very warm and I have to say, April has provided the best weather of ... well, forever. One of the best autumns ever. And we couldn't get out and about to enjoy it!

I worked some more on my book (completed rewrite of Chapter 9). It's getting more challenging as I get further into the story and detail and characters and plot etc, but all good.
Made a bit more progress on other projects.

Evening fell, and the waxing crescent moon rose brightly, getting larger. I looked at it through the binoculars then thought I'd go a step beyond and took the old telescope out onto the deck to get a better view.
I bought this telescope for my dad when I went to Australia as an 18yo.  He'd always loved space (I think I get my moon-mania from him) and telescopes were hideously expensive here then, so I went on the hunt in Melbourne back in 1980 and found a decent one that didn't cost the moon. An Amasco, apparently very good quality. He was stoked.
The thing still exists here at Omaha, but is a little worse for wear as no one has really cared for it much although I've made sure it was well stored and clutched onto it so it didn't get chucked out as junk during pre-rebuild clear out.
Tonight is possibly the first time it's been taken out and used in years. Took me some time to work out the focussing bits and bobs, and then more time to actually find the moon through the narrow viewing. But I did. And it was so worth it.
The thing with telescopes is you have to look through them with just ONE eye. Monocular vision is not optimal vision, even though you're just focussing on one thing with that eye through a telescope. I found the whole winking/focus thing tricky.
Binocular telescopes would be better.



I know full well how hideous monocular vision is as, when I was 30, I got optic neuritis - a virus that attacks the optic nerve. After blurred vision and two weeks of hideous pain, my vision slowly closed down in one eye and I eventually went completely blind in that eye. How ironic was it that I was in Christchurch running a Blind Foundation conference at the time! There I was, surrounded by blind people, and I was half blind myself.

The vision may or may not return. Thankfully for me it did return - but it took about 6 weeks to come back, and for about two years or so the vision in that eye was very faded. Pastel tones. It's a strange thing to live with faded vision, without crisp or vibrant colour.  Like you're living in an old movie. Very freaky. Especially when you work amongst blind people! Although comforting as I had a good overview of the vagaries of blindness.
Now I'm not even sure which eye it was. Phew.

Binocular vision is precious.
You do get used to monocular vision, but it takes time.

This evening was ... ta-da, you guessed it, more quiz. More fun.

Can you name the 10 parts of the body that have 3 letters? There are only 10 of them!

Brunch: pita bread with hummus
Dinner: quesadillas

SHARE-NOTE OF THE DAY:
Amira Willighagen ...
I received a shared post today of "Pavarotti's 11yo daughter singing".
Clicked into it, and saw immediately that it was in fact the gorgeous Amira - from Holland. Nothing to do with Pavarotti. (How easily misinformation circulates unbeknownst).

Amira won the sixth season of Holland's Got Talent in 2013, aged 9.
She sings like an angel, and everything about her is divine. So natural, talented and authentic.

Listening to her incredible voice makes your hair stand on end when she hits those high notes.
Watching her makes your heart melt.

Here's a link to a simple doco about her - after winning the talent show, she goes back to her roots, to South Africa. Contains lots of snippets of her singing. You can also find lots on You Tube.
Stunning voice, beautiful girl.

Doco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDESzUuZuC0

Here's a clip that is incredible, probably my favourite.
O Sole Mio - with Patrizio Buanne. Check out her voice at 2.22 - goosebumps galore.
She's 12 when she sings this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDESzUuZuC0

Astounding, uplifting and heartwarming in every way. She's now 16yo.
Go Amira! Such talent.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Twenty-Eight (Wednesday 22nd April) - Cobalt Blue, Covid Test, and Resilience

Day Thirty - Celery, Michaels and Queenstown

Day 51, Level 1: For the love of Skiing, Heavenly Lake Tahoe, and Pita bread